Beat the Heat
When the temperature and humidity spike you'll find everyone in the city desperately seeking a rooftop and a cold drink. My current cocktail of choice combines the refreshing citrus zing of grapefruit and the herbal bite of juniper berries. It works equally well on a scorching day as it does on a rainy, overcast summer evening. I'll have one before dinner as an aperitif (fancy name for a before-dinner drinkie drink) and then probably a few more before the end of the night, if we're being honest. And if you make it at home it not only makes you look fancy for going above and beyond your usual mixed drink of whatever liquor you have in your freezer and whatever juice happens to be in your fridge, it's also way less expensive then going out and having four $18 cocktails.
Stay in, make this drink - maybe even make a little dinner? - and cheers to summertime.
Campari Gin Fizz
I love the peach hue the Campari lends to this cocktail. The color and the smell of the grapefruit feel bright and youthful, but the bitter edge of the Campari makes it all grown up.
1 Grapefruit - sliced and some of the peel
1.5 Ounces of Gin (aka one shot), I used Bombay Sapphire for this recipe
1.5 Ounces of Campari (or more if you like life a little more bitter)
1 can of Pellegrino Pompelmo Sparkling Beverage
- Fill a low ball glass with ice and combine pour in gin and Campari.
- Fill remainder of glass with Pellegrino Pompelmo.
- Take your grapefruit peel and twist over the top of the drink releasing the oils and drop it in.
- Twist another sliver of grapefruit peel and dab it on your wrists and behind your ears. Now you also smell delicious - and it's natural!
- If you feel like overly garnishing your drink, like I did, add a slice of grapefruit and enjoy.
Cheers! Are you trying out this cocktail at home? If you do, comment here and let us know how it was or post it to instagram, tag us @the_blvd, and add the hashtag #TheBlvd! We love to see what our readers are creating.